Potatoes in Practice is the largest field-based potato event in the UK. The event brings together variety demonstrations, research and trade exhibits in one place making it an essential date in the potato industry calendar.
The event is organised and hosted by the James Hutton Institute in partnership with AHDB Potatoes, SRUC (Scotland's Rural College) and Agrii. The event is also supported by media partner Potato Review.
Join in the converation before, during and after the event by using #PotatoesInPractice
BASIS and NRoSO Points
Up to 6 BASIS points and 2 NRoSO points are available to attendees. Remember and sign up at the Registration Desk on arrival.
While this is not a prerequisite to attending, pre-registering will significantly speed up the registration process on the day. Please click the online registration form below:
Local hotel accommodation
The Institute has competitive room rates at a number of local hotels so if you are looking for accommodation before the event, try the following hotels:
- DoubleTree by Hilton, Kingsway West, Dundee
- Apex City Quay, City Centre, Dundee
- West Park Conference Centre Summer Accommodation
- Hampton by Hilton Dundee, City Centre
The Potatoes in Practice seminar programme forms a key part of the technical knowledge exchange with growers. Confirmed seminars are:
Session I Market Intelligence
- Consumer Trends and the Potato Market: Stewart Batchelor, Insight Analyst, AHDB
- Challenges and Opportunities for the Potatoes Industry from Brexit: David Swales, Head of Strategic Insight, AHDB
Session II Blight
- Intersection between research and potato and tomato growers: Christine Smart, School of Integrative Plant Science, Cornell University
- Late Blight – from Smith Period to Hutton Criteria: Siobhan Dancey, James Hutton Institute
Session III Apps / Diagnostic Tools
- The PotatoSize App – counting and sizing with image analysis: Matt Aitkenhead, James Hutton Institute
- Buntata – Plant disease identification on the go!: Lesley Torrance, James Hutton Institute
- BlightWatch: Claire Hodge, AHDB
Session IV Agronomy
- Late blight forecast models - innovation for improved control: Peter Raatjes, RMA
- The rise of PCN in ware potatoes and impact on land available for seed: Kim Davie, SASA and Andy Evans, SRUC
- Scotland Green Cover Trials Update and Future Soil Borne Pest Management Strategies: Richard Barnes and Clive Wood of Kings
Demos, Displays and Dialogue
Come and speak to staff and researchers at the James Hutton Institute in both the field, main marquee and seminars marquee about a variety of topics:
- Learning from the past in the future fight against blight?
- Potato Breeding - parental improvement strategy at James Hutton Limited
- PotatoSize App - seminar and in-field demonstration
- The Commonwealth Potato Collection
- What's next in the flight against blight?
- Strategies to reduce waste due to greening in potato tubers
- Climate-proofing potato against the effects of heat and drought
Exhibitor opportunities - now closed....
Booking is officially closed to exhibitors but we can still accommodate outdoor displays so if you have any static machinery you would like to showcase at the event, please contact Pam on 01382 568 751.
This year we're delighted to be joined by many of our returning event supporters but also very pleased to welcome some new faces:
|Agrico UK Ltd||Agrii||Agrimech Services|
|Agrovista UK Ltd||AHDB||Alan Mackay Machinery (Forfar) Ltd|
|A M Phillip Agritech Ltd||BASF||Bayer CropScience|
|Belchim Crop Protection Ltd||Bradley Refrigeration Ltd||Branston Ltd|
|Burden Group Ltd||Caithness Potatoes||Certis Europe|
|Crop Solutions Ltd||Cygnet PB||DuPont UK Ltd|
|Emerald Crop Science Ltd||Engage Agro Europe Ltd||EQ Accountants|
|Farm Electronics Ltd||Farming and Water Scotland||Frontier Agriculture|
|Glenside Group||Greenvale AP||Grimme UK|
|Haith Group||Headland FMC||HK Timbers Ltd|
|HL Hutchinsons Ltd||IPM Potato Group||James Hutton Institute|
|James Hutton Ltd||JD Cooling Systems Ltd||Linde MH Scotland Ltd|
|Netherton Tractors||Newtec Odense (UK) Ltd||NIAB CUF|
|OMEX Agriculture Ltd||Oro Agri BV||Redwood Refrigeration|
|Restrain Company Ltd||Ringlink (Scotland) Ltd||SASA|
|Skea Organics||SoilEssentials Ltd||Solufeed Ltd|
|SRUC||SSCR||Stet Potato UK|
|Standen Engineering Ltd||Syngenta UK||Team Sprayers Ltd|
|Techneat Engineering Ltd||Tong Engineering Ltd||Tozer Seeds Ltd|
|United Box Ltd||UPL Europe Ltd||Wroot Water|
"Linde are looking forward to attending our 4th year with you in Dundee.
This is a Great event for us to be showing the Linde product to the Farming community."
Linde Material Handling Scotand
Potatoes in Practice is held at the James Hutton Institute's Balruddery Research Farm and directions can be found below.
The route to and from the event site has been carefully planned to minimise traffic going through the village and to avoid any 'incidents' with heavy machinery. Please don't rely solely on your satnav to take you to site. Please follow the AA signage once you see it - this takes you on the best route.
If you have any queries, please contact Pam Cassidy, Events Co-ordinator, James Hutton Institute, Invergowrie, Dundee DD2 5DA. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01382 568 751.